Subscribe To Our Blog

Wednesday

Understanding the Terms: "Lock" and "Float"

If I were considering financing or refinancing a home today, I would do the following: Lock if my closing was taking place within 7 days or Float if my closing was taking place between 8 and 60 days from now.

This is only my opinion of what I would do if I were financing a home. It is only an opinion and cannot be guaranteed to be in the best interest of all/any other borrowers. Brought to you by the professionals at Quest Loans.


What does this mean?

Basically, a deposit is paid by a borrower to lock in an interest rate for a specific period of time while a mortgage application is being processed. If interest rates decline during this period, the float down option allows the borrower to obtain a lower rate.

For example, suppose a borrower locks in a rate of 5%. Before the borrower's mortgage application is complete, however, interest rates drop to 3.5%. If this borrower has a mortgage rate lock float down, they may lock in the lower mortgage rate before the mortgage is approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment